Pages

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

So Far Away

I heard a song today
That took the breath that I had saved for you
Torn from my lungs
Like an infant torn from it’s mother’s arms
Left breathless and limp
My heart could only beat
Without a rhythm
For it  has always thumped
In time with your touch

A song so strong
To leave me doubled over
I’ve not lost you,
In that I no longer have you
But I’ve lost you,
In that I can no longer find you

In dreams I have
My calls to you go unanswered
In every corner I look
You are but a shadow of sunflower
That once stood where emptiness hath now enveloped
I’ll chase the smell of sunflowers every night
And every night
Before I can find the source
I wake to an empty bed

My ears have betrayed me
A mutiny of the heart
To let in the sweet sound of reminiscence
So I can be reminded of your absence
In a state  as empty as my bed
Empty except for me
Alone and yet surrounded by people

Sights of sunflowers blowing in the wind
Sounds of songs once loved
Smells of shampoo that remind me of you
My head is swimming
My senses overcome with the memory of you
And even in the middle of conversation
I find I am talking to myself

I can only be fifty percent of me
Because my other half rests elsewhere
And if home is where the heart is
Then my home is with you
Sometimes I wish upon a star
To wake up next to you
Even just one day sooner

But I wont let it stop me
Or slow my momentum
Because if I can be strong
With only half a heart
Imagine what I can accomplish
With you to reinforce me

The days drawn out
The nights neglected
The slumber scarce
The dreams destroyed
No wall can be erected
That can stop me
From coming back to my sunflower

No comments:

Post a Comment